The felicitation function - A year back

(I wrote this when I was in my TY, a year back from now)

Its over! The felicitation ceremony. With all its blunders and lifeless chief guests. God I’m happy. Because I was the host for the event. In fact if it’s an intra college event, the pressure is quite less. But when some big guns from the industry and other high places are called in, the event itself gets a higher status. In fact from the initial looks of the guests that usually come, there is nothing inspiring about them. Not even their looks. Their speeches are even worse. Some are no doubt better. But very few people of such kind come to grace the occasion. You know sometimes I feel they are not big guns at all. They may be called guns but without the bullets. They have only empty shots.

My reason for this post holds no reason whatsoever. But perhaps you can say that I’ve taken Hajmola pills to cleanse my mind. The Third Year has quite officially begun along with its tissue of contraries. There are so many things to say however, all the issues bear no relationships amongst themselves. I know the reader will find this all talk so confusing, but then right now, even I am feeling quite confused as to what to write.

Firstly I don’t understand why the college has to be soooo stubborn in inviting a panel of guests so lifeless, that the entire zeal of the ceremony gets lost. Faggots, they try to call my buddies popped balloons! Just wait till I squeeze some helium filled balloons up your @$# and you’ll understand how it feels like. They brag about success and other regular philosophies as if they are the next Socrates! But you know all these speeches bear a similarity to the ‘K’ serials of Ekta Kapoor. They are all so drab and so artificially traditional. They deliver the same idea using different words. Some things never change.

One thing I’ve learned is that I really hate tradition bound teaching. And I mean it. The professor comes to the class, bugs you about the outdated course and suggests a reference book that is being used since ages, but a newer edition with a fancier title page. You rattafy the entire book and you are king. This is the case especially with the visiting faculty than the permanent faculty. There is no original thinking.

Sometimes I feel I should write a fantastic educational book, like Kotler did, sit back and relax and earn a handsome royalty, since some nerds like us would also buy our books for ages to come. The trend will go on and on. And then if you feel you had enough of free time, well, you just change the typesetting, change the layout and release a newer edition. The sales are up once again. And you sit back and relax once again. Oh, and if you want to know the other changes in the newer edition, well I’ll just put new illustrations (which were exercises in the previous edition) and I also add new exercises (which were illustrations in the previous edition)! Profound ain’t it?

No comments: