On change and flexibility

Its after quite some time that I’m attempting to write a blog… so much has happened within a year. So much could have been done. So much has already been done.

Its actually funny when you look from a year long perspective. Usually it is said that college life just zaps by and you don’t even come to realize it. But then once you’re out of the college, you seriously realize how long 3 years can be, or have been. It’s a matter of the time dimensions that you choose.

When you are in college, you’re in a time dimension that moves immensely fast. Where everyday is like a new day and thus the 9 months of an academic year, though largely repetitive for all the 3 years, yet proves to be significantly different. While you are in a job, no matter how high it may pay you, proves out to be so mundane, and so stagnant.

I’ve realized one thing in life. I can only live happily if my life is not stagnant. Or so to speak, there has to be something or the other going around. I cant live with the same events and things happening for the rest of my life. Now that doesn’t mean that I keep changing girls like I change the wallpapers on my PC. But yes, there has to be some spice.

I mean, a human is a composite of so many things. There are innumerable characteristics that he possesses. Surely he should be able to re-invent himself every now and then. Because I’ve seen, people do get bugged out of a stagnant life. They become increasingly cranky and talk such stupid stuff. Their boundaries become so narrow. Vision becomes cramped and tapered.

I don’t want those. I want a boundless vision. I want to understand every weird philosophy that one propounds, and if I find it to be acceptable, I accept it. I want to be flexible in life. Because I’ve realized that it puts you in a better position than the rest.

“I can’t each such food”, “I cant stand that person”, “I don’t like dogs” and all that staunch crap. What difference does it make if you’ve got to eat soggy food someday instead of the regular spicy paneer! If you seriously cant stand it, make it on your own. Yes, you can surely complain if the trend continues for quite some time, but then, if such events take place once in a while I don’t suppose you’ve got any reasons to fret.

I’m not boasting about myself. But then I know the kind of life I’ve gone through. During the year of my board exams, I used to spend nearly 4 hours in the bus alone, since where I lived was a township which was quite far from the nearest city. And that bus used to be the state transport ones. With remnants of paan all around you; the stench of guthka and bidi can seriously get on your nerves.

And even after that, there’s 30 minutes of traveling by open chakda rickshaws. The problem was not the mode of transportation. The problem was the type of people that sit alongside you.

They were the people who defined the true state of our economy. They were the people whom we now proudly term as the bottom of the pyramid segment. These people have an unbearable smell coming out of their clothes. Their mouths are eternally filled with guthka. They stare at you, simply because they don’t want you to sit aside them. You don’t belong there. Your clothes are fresh. Your body oozes out the fragrance of a deodorant.

It has been a learning experience to sit beside such kind of people for a year long period. They use their hands more than their brains. They’re always on the verge of losing their anger. They’re frustrated because of the scarcity of money. And yet they do nothing about it.

They accept is as their destiny and move on. They live in the same hut for all those years till they die. Everyday, while returning home, they look at the sprawling refinery of Reliance Industries and thank the Ambani brothers since their siblings got a small time contract job under a contractor who works for Reliance.

And that’s how they live. Spending half of their money on guthka and similar other addictions, and the rest on the basic necessities. It’s a sad sight if you ask me. Really sad. Sometimes I wonder how could they live with such low self esteem for themselves. Maybe that’s why they’re so cranky. Because they’ve got to have an upper hand somewhere. If not money, they could at least prove themselves superior by way of physical prowess.

They might feel superior, but I can stop pitying them. Just look at the heights of desperation. They have nothing except their muscles to satisfy their ego.

But that’s the way they function. My intellectual capability thus was not at all a part of the competition. And that’s why during my life of commuting with these people, I chose to remain away from arguments.

To sum it up, it was a good and a bad experience. Bad, because traveling by such modes of transport does bog you down. But then you’ve got no choice, so you have to stick to them. Bad, because I pity those poor souls who already accepted the way they live.

But it was good in some senses too. Good, because I realized that its not good to accept sometimes what your state is, especially if you’re not satisfied by it. Because the effects of such an acceptance are far reaching and can lead to serious psychological disorders. You need to build the courage to change things, for your own good. It doesn’t matter here what others might tell you, because eventually, you want to be happy. And they’re stopping you from being happy since they are jeaous.

And finally, I concluded the entire experience in one single statement. You gotta earn money. Period. I know its too clichéd a statement. But then hey, I learned it this way. People crave for emotional well being, people want to be happy, satisfied that they loved a few people in their lifetime. And that they were loyal to them. But then, loyalty, sustenance, integrity, all these come when you’ve got the resources to maintain them.

If you don’t, well you can always live in a one room hut, chew guthka all day and fight with at least one person per day. And try to see if that makes you happy…

No comments: